Why “Full Coverage” Auto Insurance in South Florida Might Not Fully Cover You

auto insurance coverage

Even if you have the recommended “full coverage” PIP vehicle insurance, you may not be protected if you are involved in a collision or hit-and-run due to the negligence of another driver.


In the state of Florida, drivers are required to carry a minimum of $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) no-fault insurance and $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL) insurance.

However, Florida drivers are not required to carry bodily injury (BI) liability insurance.

What does this mean to you?

This means that while thousands of drivers in Florida meet the minimum insurance requirements by law, they do not carry the liability insurance or they carry insufficient liability insurance to cover the damages they could cause in a vehicle accident or collision.  Moreover, even though all motorists should have PIP insurance, estimates indicate that up to 15-20% of Florida drivers do not carry the minimal insurance requirements required by law.

Accordingly, if you are involved in a collision or hit-and-run with one of these uninsured or underinsured motorists, recovering compensation from the other driver for your medical care and expenses can be nearly impossible.

What should you do?

Rather than suffering from the negligence of drivers who carry insufficient or no bodily injury insurance, you can protect yourself and family members by addinguninsured motorist (UM)/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage to your vehicle insurance policy.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage helps covercosts related to a vehicle crash that was caused by another person who (1) does not have an auto insurance policy or (2) has a policy with coverage that is too low to cover costs of losses from a crash.

When you have UM/UIM coverage and are in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you are protected — your medical care, lost earnings, and other expenses can be covered.  Additionally, other losses that are not typically covered under PIP can be covered under UM/UIM such as pain and suffering from a collision, injuries from a hit-and-run accident, or damages suffered while walking or riding a non-motorized vehicle such as a bicycle.

Now what?

Remember:  Your “full coverage” PIP vehicle insurance may not protect you in a collision or hit-and-run due to the negligence of another driver. 

Contact your vehicle insurance carrier to inquire about adding UM/UIM coverage to protect you and your passengers from drivers who decide not to carry insurance or carry insufficient coverage.

What about friends and family?

If you found this helpful, please share this important information with family and friends by clicking here!

Goldman & Daszkal, P.A.

Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties.  The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work.  Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury.  For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at 888-504-HURT (4878).