We honor the work of two organizations dedicated to helping children. The first is Kids and Cars, a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and deaths of children in and around vehicles. The second is the Miami Children’s Health Foundation, an organization focused on creating awareness and raising funds to support world-renowned pediatric facility, Miami Children’s Hospital.
Kids and Cars
Each year, over 800,000 individuals are injured and over 1,700 individuals are killed in non-traffic vehicle-related accidents. Non-traffic accidents typically occur in driveways or parking lots and victims are often children. Kids and Cars promotes awareness among parents, caregivers and the general public to help reduce the risk of tragic, non-traffic accidents. Below is a summary of select, lifesaving guidelines.*
- Know where your kids are. Make children move away from your vehicle to a place where they are in full view before moving the car and know that another adult is properly supervising children before moving your vehicle.
- Never leave children alone in or around cars; not even for a minute.
- Keep vehicles locked at all times; even in the garage or driveway.
- Make sure all child passengers have left the car after it is parked.
- Walk around and behind a vehicle to be sure no children are around prior to moving it.
- Consider installing cross view mirrors, audible collision detectors, rear view video camera and/or some type of back up detection device.
- Measure the size of your blind zone (area) behind the vehicle(s) you drive. A 5-foot-1-inch driver in a pickup truck can have a rear blind zone of approximately 8 feet wide by 50 feet long.
- Be aware that steep inclines and large SUV’s, vans and trucks add to the difficulty of seeing behind a vehicle.
- Hold children’s hand when leaving the vehicle.
- Keep toys and other sports equipment off the driveway.
- Get in the habit of always opening the back door of your vehicle every time you reach your destination to check to make sure no child – or pet – has been left behind
- Never leave your car keys or remote openers where children can access them.
- Always make sure your car is locked so that children cannot access a car unsupervised.
- Teach children that “parked” vehicles might move. Let them know that they can see the vehicle; but the driver might not be able to see them.
- Explain to your children that they should never play in, around or behind a vehicle and always set the emergency brake.
- Teach your children about the dangers of a car, especially the car trunk.
- Homeowners should trim landscaping around the driveway to ensure they can see the sidewalk, street and pedestrians clearly when backing out of their driveway. Pedestrians also need to be able to see a vehicle pulling out of the driveway.
Miami Children’s Health Foundation
Children are also the focus at Miami Children’s Health Foundation. In October, the philanthropic healthcare organization raised over six million dollars at the 2014 Hope Diamond Ball. Honoring famed local artist, Romero Britto, over 900 celebrities, community leaders, physicians, patients, and families came together to raise money.
Our own Goldman & Daszkal attorney, Jessica London, attended the event and helped raise funds for this important cause. “My husband and I were honored to be part of such a wonderful event, dedicated to helping children,” noted London. London, like several other Goldman & Daszkal attorneys, strongly believes in giving back to the community and supporting non-profit organizations. Along with several other non-profits she supports, London looks forward to her third year supporting Miami Children’s Health Foundation. For more information, visit https://www.mchf.org.
*Not-in-Traffic Surveillance (NiTS) 2007 report
**Many more tips and guidelines available at www.kidsandcars.org.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.