Do Florida Drivers Have Enough Automobile Insurance?

It’s not something that anyone wants to think about, but the possibility of getting into a car accident in the State of Florida is extremely high. According to the most recent Traffic Crash Statistics Report conducted by the Florida Department of Highway Safety, there is an average of 645 crashes a day. In addition, in 2009, Florida ranked #3 in the United States for annual fatal car accident costs, spending $3.16 billion a year. This does not include costs for non-fatal car accidents.
So what does this mean for you? Even if you consider yourself the safest driver on the road, you still can’t predict what other drivers may do. If you’re injured in a car accident and you aren’t sufficiently insured, you may be personally responsible for whatever expenses can’t be covered by your insurance company. Furthermore, if you are involved in a car accident with someone that doesn’t have enough insurance or none at all, or if you are at fault for the car accident and you are uninsured or underinsured yourself, you will be held personally responsible for all of your expenses plus all of the other party’s expenses. Expenses can include anything from fixing your car, to any hospital or medical bills incurred, as well as any lost wages.
Because of the economic downturn, Americans are reevaluating their expenses and trying to save where they can. Automobile insurance, however, should not be one of these cuts! The most practical advice would be to buy as much car insurance as you can afford. But what is enough when it comes to car insurance?
In the State of Florida, if you own an automobile with a valid Florida license plate, you are required to have a minimum coverage of $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL). Although this is the minimum state requirement, it is strongly recommended that you purchase more PIP and PDL coverage as well as tack on coverage for accidents involving uninsured or underinsured motorists. Once again, if you’re involved in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, you will be responsible for all of your expenses! Therefore, be sure to add uninsured motorists coverage, also known as UM, to your automobile insurance policy.
If you don’t currently have UM on your policy, you should call your insurance company today and ask them to add it on. If you’re not sure if you have enough insurance coverage, you can call a South Florida lawyer and ask them for a free evaluation of your insurance policy. Go out and drive with peace of mind, but please remember to be safe and buckle up!