The injury attorneys of Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. represent people in Palm Beach and Broward County who have been injured due to the negligence or unlawful conduct of doctors and other medical professionals.
Neglect in Health Care Facilities
Duty of Care
Medical professionals must undergo special education and training in order to become qualified and obtain a license to practice in their field. The Florida Department of Health issues licenses to medical doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, EMTs, paramedics, various medical and pharmacy technicians, and others. Maintaining these licenses requires continuing education and compliance with professional ethics rules. Part of a medical professional’s duty is to provide diligent and competent care to the patient, and to take all reasonable measures to protect the patient’s safety during treatment.
Accidents and errors that injure patients can occur at almost any time during treatment:
- Medication errors, including dispensing the wrong dosage or administering the wrong drug;
- Misreading an x-ray, MRI, or CT scan;
- Misdiagnosing symptoms;
- Failure to notice symptoms indicating complications;
- Neglect of daily needs, such as food and exercise;
- Failure to protect a patient from violence, harassment, or abuse in a residential facility; or
- Failure to maintain the premises of the facility, causing injury to a patient.